Unified Medical Language System
FIRST TOPIC (1/2 page): UMLS
-In 1986, the National Library of Medicine (NLM) began a long term research and development project to build a Unified Medical Language System (UMLS).
- What is the purpose of the system?
- Explain provide examples of how and where UMLS is implemented today.
- What are some current and future implications you see UMLS having on health care applications?
SECOND topic: MEDICAL PRIVACY
-Databases are built to organize and archive data/records and to allow for speedy and accurate extraction for our uses. Data and records are inputted by many; maintained by few; and extracted by many. Mistakes will happen, and wrong eyes will see and wrong hands may access confidential data.
- Without getting into too complicated technical solutions, how would you reduce and limit these mistakes?
- What POLICY safeguards and/or guidelines would you adopt?